Project Lead the Way (PLTW)
- PLTW classes provide opportunities for students to apply critical thinking skills in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) to develop the necessary skills to succeed in a global economy.
- KHS teachers participate in rigorous professional development and training to facilitate the learning within the highly engaging curriculum.
- KHS currently offers four PLTW courses in addition to the regular classes. Introduction to Engineering Design and Principles of Engineering are part of the Engineering Program and Principles of Biomedical Science and Human Body Systems are from the Biomedical Science Program.
- We will be implementing the following courses in the coming years:
- Aerospace Engineering, Biological Engineering, and Engineering Design and Development
- Biomedical Innovation
- If you would like additional information please visit: https://www.pltw.org/
Edgenuity and Blended Learning
- Blended learning involves utilizing the best instructional practices from the teacher with other learning strategies, particularly those using technology.
- Teachers have the Edgenuity resource available to supplement their instruction. It is not the only resource, but an option.
- Edgenuity has been our credit recovery resource for a number of years. It is now available for all students at the discretion of the teachers.
- Blended learning emphasizes the use of technology and 21st-century skills, such as collaborative work and presentation.
- We currently use Lions Quest curriculum to meet the social, emotional, character development (SECD) standards that were adopted by the Kansas State Board of Education in 2012.
- Lions Quest has a Service Learning component that puts emphasis on community service. We are in the process of developing Community Service projects in the community as a way to meet the standards while we are giving back to the community.
Career & Technical Education (CTE)
- KHS staff have identified and implemented 17 pathways with a sequence of specific courses that follow a particular field or area of interest.
- Students are encouraged to examine the different pathways and courses and see where their interests lie.
- All incoming freshmen will be enrolled in a Career & Life Planning course to explore different options in school and careers.
- The Kansas Career Pipeline is available to all students and has a number of tools and resources that are beneficial even beyond high school. It is also useful in identifying high-interest areas for individual students.
- For additional information please view this Brochure or CTE Quick Sheet